Sunday, February 15, 2015

Giving a hand for Google

So.. I was helping with the poor Portuguese-English translations in Google Translator. There's alot of errors, and I guess it's due to the insane ammount of connections , relations and meanings words can have in portuguese.
For example, take this phrase: " I will buy groceries at the market", In portuguese, in literal translation it would be like: "I am going to buy groceries going at the market" or " I will go to the market to 'boughting' groceries" (different version for a word to fit in the phrase just because of grammar)

Other example is the word "love". We say "I love you." But in portuguese we give a different version for the world when it relates to other word, and even by the other word's 'genre' and termination.
It'd be something like this:
"I love you" would be "I lavo you"
"She love him" would be "She levi him"
"She love her" would be "She leva her"
> "He love her" would be "He luvo her"

Not true translations, these are only some examples, but very crazy indeed. Notice the ammount of variations for "love" only because it relates to different other words on each phrase.

Portuguese seems to be very weird to english speakers. And it really is. Compared to English, protuguese is poor at ammount of words, but is insanely rich at meanings.

Anyways, I was helping Google a little and I got these lovely sentences to verify in middle of Valentines month:

 I guess the person that wrote it loves me... nah!


No comments:

Post a Comment